Tuesday, November 4, 2014

"We are not perfect human beings,
nor do we have to pretend to be,
but it is necessary for us
 to be the best version of ourselves we can be."
-satsuki shibuya

I came across this little gem while scrolling through my pinterest feed this morning. I read it and pondered it for a few minutes. I began to think about my behavior over the last week, and I can safely say, that I have NOT been the best version of myself whatsoever. In fact, I've been pretty miserable.

Alec has been sick since last Wednesday. It began with a fever, something viral I assumed. On Sunday, the lingering low grade fever sent us to the walk-in medical unit, where the doc diagnosed Al with a left ear infection. We started antibiotics and are hopeful that things turn around here soon. The last six days have been rough. Sleep has been extremely minimal, and our poor little guy has been in a lot of discomfort. There really is nothing more sad than a sick little one, especially when they can't fully communicate their needs. 

Between working nightshift and sleepless nights with my boy, I have been crabby as ever and my poor, saint of a husband has had to take the brunt of my wretchedness. I am grateful for his patience and unconditional love. He sees the best in me, even when I am at my worst. Today, I vow to make a change. No one likes a complainer. No one flocks to negativity. So despite my exhaustion, I am going to dig deep to become the better version of me, because after all, that is what my family deserves.