Thursday, October 6, 2016

Spontaneity is the spice of life

My motherhood motto as of late... "An adventure a day keeps the whining at bay". And it rings true, not only for my littles, but also for myself. We are all much happier when we are able to get out of the house, when we are able to experience something new and different. Don't get me wrong, routine is everything to us, but spicing up that little window of time we have in between naps is a must.

I've noticed myself falling into a funk lately. I've been complaining more than usual and running out of patience constantly. It's been a tough year, and lately, I have been struggling to recognize the simple blessings in my everyday life. I end up feeling so darn guilty, and just generally angry with myself for feeling the feelings I feel. (so many feelings). So in light of all that,  I recognized the need for a change... the need for an adventure (and so did my husband).

Last month, I went to Hawaii. I traveled across the continent and paid my good ole college pal a visit. One of my best gals is travel nursing, and she has literally been all over... New Hampshire, Virginia, Texas, Colorado, Washington... and now Hawaii. She is taking chances left and right, and boy am I proud of her for doing it. I've been dying to hop on a plane and visit her, but the stars never really aligned and to be honest, I just didn't really think it was a possibility with two little ones and our chaotic schedule, that is until now. It was Kiel's idea actually. He saw that two of my other girlfriends were traveling out to Hawaii to visit and he basically said "Why aren't you there?!". I responded "Uhhh... because it's impossible." I obviously thought he was joking at first, but after a long winded discussion, he convinced me it was a must. So 48 hours before takeoff, I booked a flight and off I went. It was spontaneous, downright impulsive, but I don't regret it one bit. Because when I came to my littles and my man, I was refreshed. I was more patient, more kind, and generally just a better version of me. We all need a little break from reality sometimes, and this trip was exactly what I needed to recognize that my reality is pretty damn great.

So anyways, here are a few photos from my trip. If you ever have the opportunity to go to Hawaii, absolutely do it. And if you ever get the opportunity to take a break from reality and get away, take it.