Thursday, November 13, 2014

A Quick Getaway

This past weekend my parents agreed to watch Alec overnight, so we jumped on the opportunity and headed North to see some old friends from college. It has been over two years since I have had the chance to visit my old pal, Chelsea, who only lives about two hours away in Hoboken, NJ. She is the very best hostess and every visit is full to the brim with adventure. She is one the those people that never lets you down, always ensuring that she shows you the best time possible. Not to mention, that she alone, is such a joy to be around. 

Hoboken itself, is actually a really great time, but this visit Chelsea took us into bustling New York City.  We went to a delicious dinner at Rosemary's, an Italian restaurant in the West Village. We shared small plates, and enjoyed sipping rosemary lemonade and Prosecco cocktails. After dinner we ventured to the Biergarten at The Standard Hotel for a drink while we waited to hear from friends. Once we got in touch, we jumped on the subway and headed into Williamsburg, Brooklyn. There, we went to Kinfolk and Black Bear Bar. We had an absolute blast boozing, dancing, and just catching up on old times. We ended the night at a lock pizza shop, and each enjoyed a slice or two. Mmm, so good. I only wish we had more time the following morning to do brunch with everyone, but unfortunately, we had to be on the road by noon. 

The lifestyle up there is so incredibly foreign to me…. tiny little apartments that cost a fortune, subways and taxis, and a melting pot of all different people from all over the globe. In my early twenties, I always thought that I would enjoy the whole 'city living' experience. I thought that maybe I'd regret not jumping at the chance to live somewhere other than 'home'. But now that I see myself more clearly, I know that a big city would swallow me whole and I am surely a small town girl at heart. But that doesn't mean that I don't love a weekend city adventure, because I surely do. Thanks for a great time old pal, til next time friend.