Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A Food Post...

So, if you know me, you are well aware that I am no Paula Deen; however, I am going to give myself a little bit of credit lately and say that I have been doing a decent job in the kitchen. I have been hosting lots of get-togethers over the past month, so I have been whipping up all sorts of dips, sides, and hearty entrees. Amidst all these gatherings, I have been noticing a bit of a trend. If there is one thing that I always seem to have, my one go-to appetizer… it's cheese. I LOVE me some cheese. And I make one hell of a cheese platter. So, in the event that you want to wow your dinner guests, I thought I'd share my favorite little starter with you all.

To begin, I normally select about 4-5 cheeses per plate, any more than that may be a bit overwhelming.  Always best to keep it simple. I get most (usually all) of my cheeses and spreads at Trader Joe's. They have the most amazing selection of cheeses, and their prices are unmatchable in my book. They also has a vast variety of cracker assortments, but I will be honest… I like to go basic with my cracker, Club or Ritz. You really can't go wrong. Both are sturdy and simple, sure to not distract from the powerful taste of the cheese. I prefer to display my cheeses on a solid wood cutting board. All cheese served at room temperature and thickly sliced.

I hope you find this little platter to be as appetizing as I do. And it is sure to be a hit at your next party. Below are my top selections of cheeses, spreads, and sides. And a few suggested pairings. Enjoy!

Cheese:
A simple Fontina or Manchengo
Boursin Garlic and Herb 
A soft Brie (thickly sliced)
Italian Truffle Cheese 
Blueberry Goat Cheese

Spreads: 
Honey
Pepper Jelly

Sides:
Grapes
Sliced Grannysmith Apples or Asian pears

My Suggested Pairings:
Blueberry goat cheese + honey + ritz
Fontina or Manchengo + pepper jelly + club
Brie + honey + apple
The Garlic & Herb and Italian Truffle are best when paired with a cracker or alone. They are rich enough in flavor without adding any additional spread into the mix.