Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Snapshots: holiday home edition

 This is how we do Christmas at our home...
Kiel took a few pictures of the outdoor decor the other night. Alec is enamored with all the christmas lights. Lots of "wow's" paired with big bright eyes and smiles. It really is the cutest thing.
Our tree WAS stunning, but lesson learned… maybe don't buy a tree the first weekend of December… or maybe water your tree every now and again. Because our beauty of a Christmas tree is wilting away and will most likely not be making it to New Year's.
Alec inherited his papa's old table and chairs. They are just his size and he loves them so. My brave little climber is making me nervous though. I can't take my eyes off him for one second.
Lots of eucalyptus and berry arrangements to spruce up the table for Christmas Eve supper. And lots of booze to make the holiday extra joyful.
The table is set. It is my year to host and the total head count is twenty five. Here's hoping we can pull this off so they let me host again in the future.
Ten pounds of potatoes for Christmas dinner. It's a true labor of love, yet I couldn't be happier to do it. The holiday just wouldn't be the same without Grandmom's make-ahead baked mashers.
Did you know that fake poinsettias are not just a decoration… they are also the perfect toy for a sixteen month old babe. Al has been carting this thing around for days and tears flow when I force him to part with his little flower. 

Time is flying by and this crazy month of December feels like a complete whirlwind. How is it Christmas already? I am thrilled, yet sort of depressed to think that all this will all be here and gone so quickly. I don't know about you, but the Christmas season is my absolute favorite time of the year. I, for one, love gift giving. I truly love it. I love decorating my home and baking cookies. I LOVE spending quality time with family and close friends. I love watching Christmas movies and crying at Apple's amazing collection of holiday commercials. And this year has been especially great because I get to experience all the joys of Christmas through my child's eyes. There really is nothing cooler than that.