Thursday, November 20, 2014

How Could I Forget?

As I sit here, during Alec's nap time, and make lists and lists of presents to buy for family and friends for Christmas, I started to realize that I have totally bypassed another very special holiday all together! Maybe it's because I have to work Thanksgiving this year, or maybe it's because I want to stay ahead of the rest to avoid mall crowds at the end of December… but either way I have decided to pump the breaks just a tad and refocus my energy on next week's holiday of thanks. 

As I reflect back on this passing year, I become overwhelmed with joy just thinking of all the amazing things that I am so very thankful for. It has been one of the best, and most challenging, years of my life. As many of you readers probably know, our son, Alec, has a very serious heart condition. He was diagnosed in utero at just nineteen weeks. Last November, only two months after his arrival, Alec had major open heart surgery. It was the absolute scariest time of my life. Nothing will ever be as difficult as the moment I walked my boy to the operating room doors. We held him, and kissed him, and then as he rolled away, Kiel and I held each other as tears rolled down our faces. I swear the stress of that moment alone has taken years off my life...BUT with great faith in our medical team and God, the support of our family and friends, and Alec's amazing strength, we got through it. Our babe has thrived like we never imagined, and with that I am eternally grateful. Not only has he gotten stronger, but so has my marriage and the bond we share with our supportive family and friends.

'Thankful' doesn't really begin to describe how I feel about this passing year. It's hard to believe that so much has changed in just a little over 12 months. We are now parents to a beautiful, strong boy. We settled into a new home, which we could never have done without the help of my parents and grandfather. We celebrated our boy's first birthday, which was an amazing milestone after all he's been through. My sister-in-law set us up with a 'Go Fund Me' account and with the generous donations from family and friends we were able to pay off all of Alec's medical bills and create a savings account for future procedure/surgery costs. A close girlfriend of mine organized a heart walk team in honor of Alec and an amazing group of family, friends, and co-workers walked to support the cause in 2014 and 2015. 

They say it takes a village to raise a child and I swear I don't know where I'd be without my incredible village of supporters out there. So so so many truly awesome things happened over this past year or so and I am grateful beyond words. I feel so incredibly loved which is really all you need in this world. I only hope that this upcoming year is just as fabulous as the last. Thank you for reading. xo -L

image courtesy of nestofposies.com