Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Twenty Nine.

Today marks my twenty ninth year of life. I am getting so close to thirty I can taste it. I have noticed a big change in myself since my wild early-twenties. Nights once spent out on the town with girlfriends til the wee hours of the morning have been replaced with cozy nights at home filled with bath time, bottles, and netflix. What's funny is … I am totally okay with it. Although an occasional night out is relaxing and fun, I am most happy when I am home. I love rocking my little to sleep. I love crisp nights on the porch with a glass of wine. I love watching a movie in bed and falling asleep before 10pm. I love it. I love twenty nine.

What I think has changed the most in my twenty ninth year, is that I think I have finally learned how to live in the moment. I recognize that I am very Type A. I love to be one step ahead of the game at all times. I buy Christmas and birthday gifts months in advance and I plan evening meals for the week every Sunday before my Monday morning shopping trip. I realize that I swear by my planner more than most, but I will say that I am learning to use it more as a reference, rather than a lifeline. Having Alec has really helped me loosen up, mostly because I am no longer in control of my time. I am learning that there will always be dishes in the sink, and I will always get to washing them eventually, but if there is an opportunity to play with my boy instead… that's just what I'm going to do. I am learning to put the phone down and pay attention to what is actually going on around me. These current moments are so so important, so very precious, and I don't want to miss a thing.

My goal for my twenty ninth year is to focus a bit more on myself. Last year was an awesome, challenging year. Not only did I bring a little babe into the world, but I had a bit more going on than the average parent due to his heart condition. Like most new moms do, I hurled head first into motherhood and somehow managed to lose of little bit of me in the process. This year, I want to be a little more than just "Alec's mom". I want to start eating better and exercising more. I want to try and paint my toe nails every now and again. I want to stop rocking this "natural ombre" look I've been working on lately. And maybe I can even manage to plan a little girlfriend getaway. I want to go out on a real date with my husband at least once a month. Don't get me wrong here, there is absolutely nothing better than being a Mom, (really it's the best thing ever and I honestly can't remember life before) but I just want to start to take a little better care of myself, both physically and personally.