Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Hearty Autumn Breakfast

We paid the apple orchard a visit recently and I have about a dozen honey crisp apples just waiting to eaten. Due to my hefty purchase, I have been trying to find different ways to incorporate apples into my diet. After about three days, the standard apple and peanut butter just wasn't cutting it anymore, so I set out on an apple adventure. I've always been a big oatmeal fan, but with Alec, the mornings can be a bit hectic so I rarely take the time to eat anything more than my standard english muffin and peanut butter. Today, I decided to dedicate the time to something different and what I came up with… whelp, it was darn delicious so I thought I'd share.
Ingredients:

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup water
1/2 cup diced honeycrisp apple
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1/3 cup maple pecans
Splash of milk
Cooking Instructions:

I cook my oats on the stove top. Bring one cup water to a boil, pour in oats and reduce to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let stand for one minute. Add a splash of milk and stir. Add apple, brown sugar, and maple pecans, mix, and enjoy!