Sunday, November 30, 2014

Fifteen.

Alec is fifteen months old today and as I write this post, I can't help but admit, that my eyes are beginning to well with tears. Happy tears for the amazing amount of joy this little boy brings me each and every day of my life. And a few sad tears too, because my little baby is getting so darn big and time is passing too darn quick. It truly feels like just yesterday that we welcomed our little bug into this wild world.

Fifteen months is fun. It's seriously a great stage of life. I've already shared about how fantastic the one nap transition has been for us. He's sleeping better at night which is amazing for everyone in our household. And his naps are longer during the day so I am able to get a bit more done than before. So, needless to say, it seems as though we are all happy campers thanks to the big transition. Sleep really is everything, isn't it?

Alec is becoming quite the little chatterbox these days. He doesn't make too much sense, but the inflection is there, and I almost feel like I understand what he is trying to say. Every now and again, he gets out a word clearly and I'm amazed and I cheer and clap and he repeats it until the applause stops. He has a vocabulary of about fifteen or so words/phrases that he uses regularly and it's fun to hear him apply them accurately. "Nigh, nigh" and "All done". Kids are amazing, like little sponges soaking up every little thing they see and hear. It's nuts.  What is best about his new-found speech is that we are able to communicate a bit better with one another which allows things to go much smoother throughout the day.

I am really loving his growing personality these days. This kid is seriously the biggest goofball. He loves to laugh, and to make you laugh. It's seriously all fun and games, all the time.  He is constantly egging me on, trying to get me to tickle him or chase him. It makes for a fun (and super exhausting) day, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I am very grateful to be able to work part-time so that I can be home with my boy. I know not many moms have that opportunity and with Alec's heart condition it's a real blessing to be able to avoid daycare these first few years.

Lately, Alec is leery of unfamiliar faces. He's got that 'stranger anxiety' thing going on I guess. It doesn't take him too long to warm up, but I am hoping it's a passing phase. Once he warms up, he will run circles around you and within minutes he will put on a dance performance that will have you in stitches. Ahhh, I love that little boy so darn much. I almost want to try for another, BUT not quite yet. I want to relax and enjoy this holiday season and then who knows what 2015 will bring? Happy fifteen months little bug, mama and dada (and pup) love you dearly.