Monday, September 29, 2014

Home Tour: Family Room


I fully recognize that the quality of these photos isn't stellar, but I did my very best. The lighting was super tricky. I am working on finding some before shots of the same space so that I can truly display all the changes and hard work we put into this home over the last four months. 

Trying to furnish and decorate a house on a small budget can be super challenging. Since Alec was born, I cut back my hours at work pretty drastically, so Kiel and I really had to sit down and focus hard on our finances. Fortunately, Homegoods and Target have been super good to me lately and, not to mention, the fact that my husband has suddenly turned into this incredibly creative handyman. He did a number of awesome things in this room. He ripped out some old built-ins next to the fireplace. He hand-made and stained two wooden pallet shelves. He painted our old coffee table a nice shade of blue and it works really well in the room now. 

We did need to purchase quite of few new items to fit this space; such as the henry sectional in heather grey. We opted for a marled microfiber fabric because of it's durability and of course, we sprayed on a thick coat of scotch guard. I found these patterned curtains  to frame the walk-out slider. The white shelving unit and television stand are both from IKEA. I replaced the hardware on the media stand with something a bit more unique. Much of the shelving and mantle decor comes from Homegoods and Target. The framed print  is from Society 6, a creative online shop full of interesting prints and designs. I also purchased this one for the formal living room. All of the greenery in this room are live plants or flowers. I change them out often, so there may be some inconsistency in the photos above.

Our family room is where we spend most of our time. You can't see it here, but we normally have our pop'n'play set up in one of the corners of the room. We fill it with a couple of Alec's favorite toys and it is a perfect little spot to put my boy while I cook dinner or clean. I hope to eventually change out the fireplace doors for a more updated look (the brass is killin me). I will probably try and go with something basic like this one I found at Home Depot. I am also hoping to replace our area rug with something a little larger and maybe a bit more plush like this one

More Home Tour posts to come later this week! Stop by to check out our formal living room and our outdoor space!