Thursday, February 13, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day

My little valentine, I love you so. 

February 7th through the 14th is Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week. 
CHD is considered to be the most common birth defect, and is a leading cause of birth-defect related deaths worldwide. Despite the fact that CHD affects approximately 1.8 million families in the U.S.,  a relatively small amount of funding is currently available for parent/patient educational services, research, and support. The goal of this week is to raise public awareness about conditions that affect approximately 40,000 babies each year in the United States alone. Early diagnosis can make such a profound difference in the treatment of CHD. My husband and I were fortunate to find out about Alec's heart defect at only 19 weeks gestation. We received the most wonderful care at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and with a ton of education and planning, Kiel and I were prepared for what was to come after Alec was born. A big thank you to all who walked in Alec's honor at the Heart Walk on September 8th and also to those donated towards our team. It is through your support that Kiel and I remain strong for our little man and we are so grateful for how healthy he has been thus far!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Valentine's Day and that you are all able to spend the day with those you love most. xoxo