Wednesday, October 16, 2013

6 Weeks

It's so hard to believe that my little boy is 6 weeks old already. It feels like just yesterday that I peed on stick and shared the great news with my family. Time is flying by, and I am doing my very best to soak up every minute. I know that he will only be this little for so long, so snuggling in bed until 11 am is totally acceptable in my book.

The three of us traveled up to CHOP yesterday for a cardiac check-up. All went very well. The doctor seemed happy with his progress so far. Alec weighed in at 10 pounds, 4 ounces and measured 21.5 inches tall. He's growing like a weed, and I am so proud because most of his nourishment is coming straight from me. Surprisingly, I am still breastfeeding and it is nowhere near the struggle it was in the beginning. 
Although our check-up went super well yesterday... I found myself feeling a bit down. The realization that my beautiful little man is going to need open heart surgery in the upcoming months has started setting in. Most parents are just now fretting about their little ones getting their next set of vaccines and it just seems unfair that Kiel and I have to worry about so much more. But life isn't fair, and we were both hand-picked for this special job... and I'll tell you what we are going to do the best damn job we can, because Alec deserves nothing but the best that two parents can give. There is no doubt in my mind that we have some serious obstacles to face in the future, but I know that we can totally handle it, because we have the most incredible support system in the world.

I mean look at all these amazing people that came to support Alec at the Heart Walk. 
Surprisingly, amidst all the worry, parenthood has taught me to be so grateful for every moment.. every smile ... every tear... for God sake's every poop. I am grateful for all of it, for the opportunity to be someone's mother. It is truly the most amazing experience that any woman can have.



Every moment is a gift. Be grateful for it.